Monday, August 26, 2002

Today starts the US Open and part of my is a little bummed out. Since I moved here, I have attended the US Open every year either in a night session or on Labor Day with a full day pass. This will be the first time that I have not attended the US Open since I moved here since I am saving up the necessary cash for my impending move (more on that in a few minutes). This weekend though...well, it threw me for a major loop.

1) As many of you know, I am looking into an apartment in Bensonhurst that, if two other people move in, would reduce my rent by half and I could choose the people that I wanted to live with me. Even if two people didn't move in with me it would be $150 less than what I am paying now. The flip side is that my commute to midtown would double and there are currently people living there now that may not be out of the apartment by October 1. However, this weekend, I was made aware by a friend that one of his roommates was moving out leaving a vacancy in his apartment. His apartment in Washington Heights and would be almost $200 less than what I am paying now. The room I would have is rather large (or so I am told, I need to view it first) and my commute to midtown would be about 15 - 20 minutes. However, I am moving in with 2 other people -- only one of whom I know and it is available on October 1.

That is the first quandry.

2) There is a guy in my life (platonic for the record) who, for the sake of this blog, we will call Ken. Ken and I have known each other since, I guesstimate, 1994 when I was just finishing up my degree and he was still a junior or a senior (I don't remember). I was instantly smitten with him. There was just something about him that to this day I cannot explain. Anyway, he has had a succession of boyfriends and so forth and has been in a long term relationship pretty much since he moved to NYC about six years ago. Saturday afternoon he told me that he and his boyfriend are splitting up because it had become too much of a friendship than a relationship (or something like that). I was stunned. I was shocked. I was reliving all of the feelings for him that I put away years ago because he was in a relationship and I am not a homewrecker. To a certain extent, I can see me in a relationship with him but at the same time I think it would be weird of us to go from being friends to being more than friends -- especially after eight years or so of knowing each other.

So that was my weekend...please feel free to comment and also feel free to go vote for me in the final week of Bloggy's voting. I know they say it's just an honor to be nominated but I wanna win this thing! Also, to the left you will see my Guest Map. Please click on it and let me know where you are from because I know I have more than just NYCers reading this blasted thing...it'd be nice to hear from you!

No comments: