Wednesday, August 21, 2002

I've been waxing nostalgic as of late. One of those ponderings of where I was, where I had come from, where I was going and the people that got me there kind of moods.

There was a guy named Cyrus that I met when I was in college. He lived in Cleveland and I, at the time, was living in Florida. He had this wonderful deep voice and was fluent in French and had a nice furry chest. We met a couple of times and the last time we saw each other was in 1996. I'm not sure what we had an argument over, but we had this very intense, mean argument and I never spoke to him, emailed him, or called him again. Despite all of this, I still wondered what had happened to him in the past few years and made a few attempts to get a hold of him. It was a difficult proposition given the fact that I didn't know if he still lived in Cleveland, didn't have an accurate phone number for him, or even an email address.

I had searched off and on for about the last three or four years trying to locate him. Finally, a coworker suggested I try Switchboard.com and VOILA! First try and I had an address, phone number, and email address. I so sent an email, left a voicemail, and crossed my fingers. Last night, we talked for the first time in over six years.

There's something comforting and refreshing to go back and find the people who, despite whatever transpired between you, made a major difference in your life. It was somewhat odd for us to learn that he had frequently come into New York over the past few years and even owned a condo in Woodside which is not very far from where I live. We compared notes as to where we both were on September 11. We talked, I estimate, for about an hour catching each other up on all we could remember.

However, due to the long phone call and the lateness of the hour, I overslept and missed my appointment for my blood test which means I have to reschedule. Not really happy about that but it's what I have to do. Anyway, all I ask is that everyone wax nostalgic for a moment, come on you know you want to, and think about the people that you have lost contact with and would like to talk to one more time to re-establish a connection. Then make it happen. I don't regret it at all...

No comments: