Wednesday, January 15, 2003

I have an admission to make – I am clueless when it comes to being cruised.

You have to understand one thing – I have rarely been cruised and that was due partly to the fact that I was about forty plus pounds overweight, had serious self confidence problems, and pretty much didn’t get a second look from a guy. But now that the weight has come off I’ve been told that more than a few eyes have been following me around – and I am totally clueless about it!

Case in Point #1


Last December I was at the chorus retreat and was on my way out to the front of the hotel with one of the production staff members who was in desperate need of a nicotine fix. As we passed by the bar, she turned to me and said, “You just got cruised and you didn’t even realize it.”

“What?” I stammered out because, hey, like I said, I’m clueless about these things.

“Yeah, as we were walking by the bar that guy on the end just followed your every step as we walked by and he wasn’t being coy about it either.”

Case in Point #2


I was having dinner with a friend at a restaurant in the theater district when I went up to go to the bathroom. Now mind you, I was focused entirely on the dinner and my friend (who I hadn’t seen in AGES) and wasn’t really paying attention to anything else. I sat back down at the table and pick up my glass of wine and this was the first thing I heard – “That guy back there was checking you out.”

“What?” I said again in shock since these things just never happen to me.

“Oh yeah as you walked by the first time he looked up and grinned and watched you walk by. When you came back he leaned over just a bit to watch you walk towards the table.”

“Maybe he was just checking out my ass,” I said, growing even more fearful that I’m just not that observant.

“He was checking something out that’s for sure,” came my friend’s response.

Case in Point #3


At the post-rehearsal drink-up at The Monster, one of my fellow AMs told me that a guy at the bar had cruised me.

“What?” I said, since that’s what I tend to say on these occurrences.

“Yeah, that guy at the end of the bar. At least I think it was a guy.” The person he was referring to was about 80 years old, dressed entirely in black, and had a black hat on. I couldn’t tell their gender either but it wasn’t like I was going to pursue it either.

* * * * *


So I need some help here…how can I tell if I’m being cruised or not? I don’t want to go out on the town and have a guy interested in me and trying to make contact (or God knows what else) and be completely oblivious to it and put him off from even doing anything.

No comments: