Monday, December 30, 2002

Okay so I went to go see the Chicago movie starring Catherine Zeta Jones, Renee Zellweger, Richard Gere, Queen Latifah, and John C. Reilly.

Utterly amazing. I was concerned as to how they would incorporate some of the songs into the movie and was slightly upset to learn that they had cut two of my favorite songs -- "My Own Best Friend" and "Class." But overall the entire movie is just amazing. You have to give credit to Rob Marshall and Bill Condon for their careful crafting of this movie because I am truly impressed. If this doesn't make the movie musical genre come back in some way shape or form nothing will. I was totally impressed with Catherine Zeta Jones because I expected nothing out of her. I have to say this casting is much better than the original which was Madonna and Goldie Hawn. Goldie Hawn was WAY too old for the part of Roxie. Queen Latifah was amazing and John C. Reilly was so poignant as Amos it was fabulous.

Now, outside the theatre, when Union Girl and I arrived, there were about 60 people already in line at 5:45 to go in for the 7:00 show. While we were in line, this limo pulled up and there were balloons on the back and at first I thought it was a bachelorette party but it turns out it was part of the Fox promotional machine for their new movie, "Just Married" or something like that. So there was a couple dressed up as a bride and groom and the "best man" dishing out fliers for the show. He went up the line asking if someone could sing a song to the new couple and I don't know why I volunteered myself for this but I went up and put out a nice version of "Nel cor piu non mi sento" from my old voice lessons so many years ago. I dropped it about a third because I knew I wasn't hitting the high notes and it was okay. Now, on the way over to the limo, I was promised some champagne for my performance and I got back in line without getting the necessary alcohol. So I called over to the "best man," Jeff, and asked him where my champagne was. Sure enough he called me over, had me sit in the limo, the "groom" poured me a glass of champagne and I had a nice conversation with the "bride and groom." They both worked for Fox and well..they were getting into the spirit of it all. When they were asked to make another appearance in the moon roof, the "bride" yelled at her new husband that he was standing on her veil. Sadly, they had to go to another location before the line started to move so I had to get out and back in line. Union Girl was so confused as to what had happened but I didn't care. The champagne warmed me up just enough until the line started to move.

Ah...New York.

No comments: