Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Got my blood test results from my doctor. Granted I was a day early and he doesn't have afternoon patients on Tuesdays but was willing to see me anyway and for that I am thankful.

STDs -- none. Pretty much knew that since I'm...well....pretty much a monk. But it was nice to have it all confirmed.

Cholesterol -- Bad cholesterol was at 103 which is pretty damn good I think. Good cholesterol though was low. Around 30 something. Surprised my mother when I told her considering my recent workout routine. So I need to look into ways of getting that increased. The doc is wondering if it may be due to heredity but my parents both have high levels of the good cholesterol so I may just need to adjust my diet.

Blood sugar -- Well. It was high. Not really surprised but it was 25% higher than the normal levels which was the surprising part. I had some more blood withdrawn and they are going to test it for Diabetes 2, something my father was diagnosed with a few years ago. If I do test for it, Doc thinks it can be treated with diet and exercise. Heck, I'm already excerising enough as it is, don't you think? Mom says I need to watch my starch intake if I am diagnosed with it.

Had the first of the Heptatis shots as well yesterday. Next one is in a month.

I did run 6.66 miles (please note that it was 666 -- the number of Satan) on the runner yesterday. I've said it before (maybe not on here but out loud) that I don't care how strong your legs are or how much you can squat, clean and jerk, snatch, press, etc. If you don't have the endurance to complete the game (and we run like hell during those games) then it's not going to amount to a hill of beans how much weight you have on the plate loaded seated leg press. That's why I run for an hour each day at the gym. I want that endurance. It will ultimately be what separates people on the team. I'm getting there. Nowhere near where I want to be, but I am getting there.

My goal for this rugby season is to learn the game better and become a better all around player. I'm not gunning for a starting position on the "A" side squad this season. I want to become a better player, understand the laws of rugby better, and THEN I will contest for a starting position. I fully believe that there are a lot of people on the squad who haven't done very much work in the off-season and are expecting to pick up right where they left off and as if nothing has changed.

Hoo boy. They are in for a surprise.

No comments: