Thursday, October 03, 2002

So I watched The Bachelor last night on ABC, because, as I said before, I am a whore for reality TV (and I had to cover it for the website I write for). This show is going to bring out the claws in all of the women (and I am sure a few men) who are going to say that these women must be desperate to be on a show like this and why would they subject themselves to possible humiliation on a national level.

Well I think Aaron, the eponymous character from the show, hit it on the head. These women are meeting a man that they probably would have never had the chance to meet under normal circumstances. It's an opportunity to meet someone and spend concentrated amounts of time getting to know them. It's like speed dating. Aaron and the women he chooses to continue in the game will get to spend more time with each other in a shorter amount of time than if they were casually dating in the first place.

Do I think some of the women are desperate? Yes. I thought there were a few women who harped on how all of their friends are married and everyone they went to school is now married and that there is no one left just for them. Well, I think that rationale is total crap. There are a lot of people I went to school with who are not married and are more than happy with their situation. Life really and truly like that line from Forest Gump. Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you are going to get. So why not just pick up a piece a take a bite out of it?

The one person I really liked that he didn't take was Merrilee. She had such a good head on her shoulders and he wound up giving her the shaft at the end. If he had heard her reference all of the people in her life that were married including her parents that have been married for over thirty years (as have mine) and then heard her say that it doesn't really matter that they are married because she's taking the love and romance thing on her own damn sweet time then maybe he would have had a change of heart with her. Hell, I would have married her after that comment!

Anyway, I support these women and what they are doing because it takes guts to put yourself in this situation where you might wind up being emotionally hurt and embarassed and have it all shown on national TV. This takes guts and for everyone that complains or points a finger at them, just realize the step they had to take just to apply and then go to the interviews and finally go on the show. They took HUGE steps and should be commended for their bravery.

No comments: