Friday, October 11, 2002

I got the following response to one of my posts and I thought I would take the moment to respond to it because it brings up some interesting points and issues...

I'd have to agree with most of your comments about Christi. Here melodramatics and drama were quite uncalled for and at times painful to watch. I do, however, disagree with your comment, "Christi was acting like a sorority girl treating her least favorite pledge with total contempt." How many sorority women do you actually know? And secondly, you're purpetuating a major stereotype of Greek women. Not all Greek women are stuck up, or snotty, or mean or rude, or anything. Let me rephrase that, not even a majority of women are like that. We're people, just like those that don't belong to a Greek organization, we just happen to have a label that you can throw on us. ok...sorry for the rant, I just wanted to suggest that maybe you were unfairly stereotyping many women.

Well, first and foremost, my comments was not designed to make any statement about the Greek system or, more specifically, sororities and the women who make up their membership. The reason I made that analogy was due in part to having talked with a few of the women from the first edition of The Bachelor who actually referred to themselves as the weirdest sorority in the world.

For the record, I know many women who were part of sororities. Some were very, very nice women and some were complete total bitches. I will agree with you and say that the majority fall into the nice category without fail. However, if I had called her a "stuck up sorority girl" instead of just a generic "sorority girl" would that have made a difference? I don't know. If I was giving off the wrong impression then I am totally sorry because it was not my intent. I think this is one of those situations where your own personal situation dictates how you react to a statement. I used the term "sorority" because it was what was used with me.

Now, on another note, let's give a big salute to former President Jimmy Carter on his well deserved Nobel Peace Prize. As a rule, I do not admire many people as much as I admire people's actions in times of crisis and adversity. President Carter is one of the few men who I admire both as a person for his philosophy and dedication as well as for his continued efforts of bringing peace through well thought out negotiations and mediation. I think his presidency is one of the most underrated given the heavy weight of the Iran hostage situation. He worked tirelessly to bring about the Camp David Accords which brought peace between Israel and Egypt and I can only wonder what would happen if he got Yasser Arafat and Ariel Sharon in the same room for thirteen days as he did with Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat.

No comments: