Friday, April 09, 2004

Lunch with Fish was grand...pizza in Rockefeller Center trying to "man watch" when the average age of the "men" was about....12.

It was an odd phenomenon...one block over from where I work, Fifth Avenue was ablaze with hot men left and right passing me by. We go half a block in to Rockefeller Center...nothing. I think we saw maybe two men that were even worthy of a second look. We swapped some stories about our recent lives and compared U-Haul horror stories, and I shared my fantasy about what happened to the Reluctant Kitten.

In my fantasy world, RK is now living with a kooky, madcap widow who married rich and feeds RK a saucerful of half and half and gets the good Fancy Feast catfood which she does indeed serve in a crystal bowl on the dining room table while she has her Lean Cuisine manicotti on fine china. Yeah, it's a fantasy but I did admit that I think of Fish and RK now everytime I see one of those American Express commercials with the dog that gets picked up by various people who buy him a bone or a collar or a hooker.

But, and I can't speak for Fish on this, but in my opinion the best part of it all was the ice skating. In the middle of this mass of kids and tourists was this woman who had to be late-50s early 60s, if not older. She was wearing an orange knit hat and a green coat whose design can only be described as Mondrian-eque (albeit there were no blues, reds, yellows, etc). She would skate along in this big strides and then swoop into the center where she would be doing spirals and spins and I think she even did a small jump.

Fish said, "I just love that she's being herself out there."

And she was...she looked like she was having a total blast on the ice and I commented that for all of my snarky comments about her, she was probably a US figure skating champion in the 1940s because it was VERY clear that she knew what she was doing out there and how to do it.

On the walk back to the office I kept thinking about the woman in the orange hat and realized that really and truly...I want to be more like her and have that carefree attitude.

But without the orange hat and coat.

No comments: