Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Last night the rugby team was split into two sides -- "A" and "B". The "A" side are the first twenty one players (fifteen on the field, six subs) that will play on the more competitive side. These people were chosen (per the emails) as those who had experience, dedication, and commitment to the team and to the sport. The "B" side consists of those who aren't ready to be put on the "A" side just yet, need more practice and experience to improve their skills, or would rather be a less competitive, more social/recreational player. As we must field two sides for each game as mandated by the rugby union, it's necessary to make this separation, but everyone was made aware of the distinction that the line between the two sides is, as our club president put it, "porous," meaning that people from the "A" side could move down to the "B" side ranks and vice versa.

I was placed on the "A" side. When I heard my name called I was in shock and even gave Coach a look that said, "Are you sure?" He was sure. I was expecting to be on the "B" side so I could improve my skills to compete for an "A" side position in the fall. Now I have to step up everything a notch more. More intensive leg workouts so I have the strength to hold my position in the scrum (quads, quads, quads). More cardio so I can keep up the pace and make sure I can run when needed and have the energy and stamina to do it. I will say this though, when it comes to doing crossover side steps, I kick ass and practically fly down the line. It's just a freakin' dance step...then again these are "athletes" not dancers so I shouldn't be too harsh on them. Then again I'm not a dancer either but I can still do the damn thing. What else...oh yeah more weights to develop the upper body strength...lots more work to do...lots of practice.

I'm killing myself right? :)

No comments: