Wednesday, March 05, 2003

I had to go buy pants this morning.

Now, as many of you know, I have dropped a serious amount of weight in the past few months following a strict diet and workout routine and therefore, have very few pairs of pants that actually fit me. It's not because I haven't had the time to go out and buy new clothing, but I have gradually been purchasing new pants (four to six sizes smaller than what I was wearing before I started this new routine back in September/October) so I don't look so...so...baggy.

Anyway, I packed my gym bag this morning before I left but forgot to put in a belt to go with my black pants. Now I like this black pants but since I have lost a serious amount of weight they don't fit as well as they should and I don't look that great in them but when I have the belt on I can pass pretty well in them. However, in my haste to leave this morning, I forgot to pack a belt. Now, I could have simply gone and bought a belt but since I have so many belts at home as it is, there really is no need for me to go out and buy one now is there? I got out of the shower and knew that I could get down to the Gap near my office since it opens at 8:00, buy a new pair of pants, and change in the bathroom at work without a problem. At most, this trip to the Gap should take no more than five minutes. I grab my pants and I head to the line so I can pay, get to work, and change.

And I wait. And wait. And wait. And wait.

A woman in front of me had ordered items through the Gap website and was returning them for a refund (for whatever reason) and they only have ONE PERSON working the entire bank of registers. I'm standing there for about ten minutes getting more and more pissed as I see multiple sales associates walk by me, say nothing, and keep moving. I see them go behind the counter to get things only to leave without even acknowledging me or anything I do to get their attention. Finally, I leave the line (and mind you I'm the front of the line) and I put the pants back and head to the door. The customer service totally turned me off and I was not in a good mood.

On my way out the door, I run into a woman who has the "manager" sticker on her Gap button. I told her I was leaving her store because the customer service sucked and I stood in line for ten minutes while there was only one person running a register and taking her damn sweet time with the woman who was returning pretty much her entire closet of clothes and I had to get to work. I pointed out every sales associate that had walked by me or behind the counter without helping me and said that when I did retail (and I did for about three years) if I had treated a customer like that I would have been fired. I was going to leave the store, go to one of their competitors, and buy my pants there.

"Oh, but we've had numerous people call in late because of the weather," Manager Lady stammered at me.

"That's no excuse. People saw the three of us in line waiting to be helped on and no one stepped up to the plate. That's sad," came my response. "I will remember this when I am in the midst of a clothing emergency and will remind myself not to come to this store. And, while I'm at it, I'll make sure my coworkers know only to come here if they want to be ignored."

The manager was so apologetic that I got the pants for half off. They make my ass look great.

No comments: