Sunday, September 08, 2002

Remember not that long ago when I talked about Rebekkah Revels, the Miss North Carolina who had to give up her title because of two naked photos her ex-boyfriend took of her while she was changing clothes. Now, my whole argument was that she should not have to give up the title because she did not pose for these pictures as they were taken without her consent and she was doing the very simple act of changing clothes. Regardless, she gave up the title (something I was opposed to) and decided that a few days later that what she did was wrong and sued not only to get the title back but to appear in the Miss America Pageant.

Here's where I have some mixed emotions. On one hand I do not think that she should have been forced to give up her title for pictures that had not been published and had been taken against their will. Therefore, I don't think there was any real reason for her to give up her crown. Then again, she did resign from the pageant and something has to be said about that. Personally, I think she should have waited to be fired from the pageant first and then she could have sued for wrongful termination. I don't know what to say about this one. Personally, I think she did the wrong thing by giving up her title (no matter how noble the action was) but I think she ultimately shot herself in the foot because of it.

No comments: