Monday, September 30, 2002

I don't know whether to laugh about this or to be totally disgusted by it but I thought I would share this with all of you and you can make your own judgement call...

Last night (or was it early this morning) I took out copious amounts of garbage and clothing to be picked up by the sanitation workers during this morning's pick up. We're talking maybe ten to fourteen bags plus a twin bed, a lamp, etc, etc. Now, I was planning to give the clothes and bed to the Salvation Army or to charity but I couldn't get anyone on short notice to come pick up the stuff.

Anyway, I was concerned that the trash guys would not pick up all of the stuff or would decline to pick something up because something should be recycled instead of trashed so when the truck came down the street I peeked around the blinds to make sure that it was all going into the back of the truck. And that's when it happened.

The guy took the first two bags, put them on the back of the truck, opened the bag the started to sort through the contents. From clothes to dishes to whatever, he was taking things out, holding them up, looking at them, and then TAKING what he wanted. I know he took four videos (X-Files episodes on VHS I didn't really want), a few coffee mugs, and at least one shirt. He was raiding my trash for his own personal gain and I found it really funny. Then I found it sorta sad.

The fact that he was doing this in front of a school bus of children and holding up traffic so he could go through and see what things he wanted from my trash was really weird. I know he caught me staring down at him because at one moment he looked right up at me and we locked eyes. After that, all of the bags quickly went into the back of the truck and he was off to the next house. It just really cracked me up and I have no idea why.

No comments: