Thursday, September 12, 2002

I hate moving.

There is the inevitable cleaning out of everything that you have collected since the dawn of time and even then you know that you still have more to get rid of and then you have to wonder how you're going to manage it all, etc. etc. etc. I am in this "need to condense" mode that I have never been in before. I need to get rid of a twin bed (with mattress and frame) that an old roommate left behind (the rat bastard that he was), my entertainment center, a tv stand, and possibly a dresser and my stereo. I'm looking into a few options from posting them for sale on Loot, the free ad newspaper to going through one of my coworker's contacts as he publishes items for sale to foreign nationals who are moving to NYC with no possessions.

The book situation is finally under control. I was somewhat scared that I would never get rid of them all but I can proudly say that they are over and done with as of today. My next move is to clothing which I am going to donate to a charity that is always dropping leaflets on the front stoop. If I can find their phone number maybe I can get them to come over and pick the clothes up and such. I get a tax write-off they get to sell my old underwear and such.

Actually, my next step may be my CD collection. I have so many CDs that I never listen to that it is stupid for me to have them. A co-worker suggested that I put them up for sale on eBay while another said I may have better luck on Amazon.com. For Amazon.com, they take a flat $0.99 fee plus another fifteen percent of the final sale price. I could make a small killing there and that would be enough to fund a new bed. Yep, I'm also looking into selling the bed I sleep in now in order to buy a loft bed (which I will be buying anyway because I will need the floor/storage space in the new room with its BLOOD RED WALLS). But that's a future thing. Right now I'm looking to offset moving costs and such. I would sell off some of my playbills (and I do have some old ones and some rare ones too like the playbill for CARRIE) but I fear they wouldn't bring me as much money as I would expect. Besides...when you're moving do you really want to think about shipping costs and which you have to send out immediately and such?

But I am thinking about it.

No comments: