Friday, October 15, 2004

Maybe....maybe not...

Last night during warm-ups at rugby practice, I took a HARD fall while doing a side lateral run. Hard is an understatement. I hit and I think I bounced too...

(For the record, I'm not sure what caused me to fall exactly whether it was a rock or I just wasn't getting my feet up high enough or whatever because it all happened so fast...)

Anyway, I hit and I grabbed my knee because it hurt like fucking hell. The coaches thought I had hit a rock when I landed and that wass why I was in so much pain. The only problem was that I couldn't straighten out my left leg without immense pain. Ultimately I was able to do that after a lot of deep breaths and slowly lowering my leg. One of the guys on the team who is a doctor checked me out and said that my ACL was unstable which isn't exactly what you want to hear. There was the chance that I had ripped my ACL.

Now this is what I learned...if you rip your ACL you can still walk forward normally. It's the side-to-side motion that is impaired the most. So here was I walking along pretty well and thinking everything is pretty cool when I could be doing even worse for myself overall. I was told that I would know pretty much later that night or the next morning depending on the pain. As the night wore on the pain morphed into this dull burn on the back of the knee and then back into a dull pain. This morning, my leg was pretty stiff and even now the dull ache behind the knee is still there and I'm wondering what I've really done, if anything.

I haven't tried any major side-to-side movements today to check it out and, frankly, my mother isn't too happy with the new developments either noted by the long sigh when I told her. With tomorrow as the last match of the regular season, I really want to finish out the season whether it kills me or not...of course, if it does kill me that wouldn't really be a good thing...surgery though would be a bad thing too but if it fixes the problem that would be a good thing...

No comments: