Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Belated Birthday Greetings

Last night I got home around 11:00pm and picked up my mail. The first thing I saw was a return address label bearing my grandmother's name and my aunt's handwriting. I knew it was a card but I figured it was one of those Hallmark cards of support (or something along those lines), I really didn't think much of it as I opened it up.

It was a birthday card and a check from my grandmother that she had apparently written out the day before her stroke and two days before she passed away. I made it back to my room before I completely dissolved into tears. I did get birthday wishes from her after all, even if it was a bit late.

I've put the card in one of my boxes where I keep some of my most prized possessions. I think I value this more than I do the things of hers I brought home from South Carolina.

No comments: