Tuesday, December 23, 2003

I would like to start out this morning with a big “Thank You!” to Brian, for allowing me to join in the fun of guest blogging. I am going to guess that most of you do not know me, maybe a few of you have read my blog, but for those that have not caught up on their history of me, I’ll give you all a little intro.
My name is Sandra (Sandi) and I am originally from out side the beautiful city of Philadelphia. (West of the city, thank you, not from the other side of that river).

My mother’s family is right off the boat from Ireland; they make it a point to say that they are real Irish, not Scott’s Irish or any of those other Irish mixes that people claim. My father’s family is Austrian-Hungarian Empire Jew.
(And, for those history buffs out there, yes, I know that it is not in existence anymore – but it is just easier to say that then, some are from Poland, some are from Russia, etc…). It was an odd upbringing to say the least – I can also say that I am probably will be in major therapy at some point of my life due to the amount of guilt that I have. I feel guilty about pretty much everything, including sometimes feeling guilty about things that I should not feel guilty about.
(And, I am pretty sure that at least a few of you are all wondering why Brian would have ever given a day of guest blogging to this crazy girl living in D.C., I am not sure, but he did! I can say in my own defense that I have been told by many than I keeping me around keeps life from getting dull).
Random Fact of the Day: Did you know that the largest population (% wise) of people in mental institutions are EITHER Catholic or Jewish?
My Aunt once told me that because I had both I was defiantly screwed either way…Thanks!


I was the only child for 25 years, and the first girl born into my father’s family for 5 generations, which then set the standard, as all of my cousins after me have been girls. 3 months ago my father finally got his beloved son.
(And in case you think that I will have missed out on sibling rivalry, you’re wrong. It started before he was born and my father called to tell me that he was proud of his son for gestating…Yes, my father was proud of my brother for being a leach, a couch potato, etc…Please to do hate me for calling my brother these names, but I am a trained as a biologist, so I am looking at this from a biological view.
Fact: I do love my little brother very much and I have to keep an eye on him, as a few friends of mine want to steal him due to his cuteness.
My intended point of my complaint about my father's comment: At one time we all gestated. And if we are now reading this entry, we must have all been at least somewhat good at it!)
)

I was sent to catholic school pretty much my whole life, including an all girls catholic academy for high school and then to a catholic university (The Catholic University of America to be exact). I am now starting a Ph.D. program in Microbiology and Immunology at another University here in D.C. And yes, it is at a different, much larger, catholic university in D.C. Burt (the Cat) kindly allows me to live with him and feed him and pay constant attention to him when I am at home (if you are owned by a cat, you’ll totally understand this).

I like to think that I am out going and fun, but then again someone like Mussolini probably thought that he had those qualities too – but then again it was the only time in Italy’s history that the trains ran on time – if you have never visited Italy, trust me, the trains are almost always late!

When I am not in the lab, (which is where I usually am which may explain some of the craziness that has been going on with me as of late), or studying at the coffee house (the other place I usually spending too much time at) you’ll probably find me with a one or two of the usually suspects (as my mother calls them) hanging out downtown and just trying to enjoy living in the Nations Capitol. Feel free to ask me any questions, make comments or whatever – As I was not sure what to say about myself in this intro, it has run on WAY longer then I had first thought, but in any case, I hope you enjoy this day with me…

No comments: