Sunday, June 17, 2007

Thanks...But....Um....

So you're probably wondering why a picture of Barry Diller is here amidst all of the Paris Hilton hullabaloo.

Well, a headhunter called me and asked if I would be interested in applying for a job that would report directly to the man that created Fox Broadcasting and changed television forever when he created the ABC Movie of the Week.

It took a while for my jaw to pick up from off the floor.

First and foremost, I was VERY honored to even be considered for the job and I took a couple of days to learn more about the man and how I should tailor my resume (which I was told should be about four pages long) to fit what he was looking for in this position. I started rewriting my resume over and over so it would be PERFECT for the job but then right in the middle of it, I talked to a friend who used to work for Fox who basically told me that if I went to work for him I would be working my ass off and literally earning every single penny I was being paid.

Now I have no problem with hard work or anything of the sort. However, the way that it came out of his mouth made me really reconsider whether or not I wanted to be tied to my job as much as it sounded like it was going to be from the job description as well as those I had talked to about Barry and everything else.

At the end of it all, I decided that I needed a bit more time in my current position learning as much as I could before I could even consider taking on something as large as Barry Diller.

Now would it have been great to work for him or at least apply for the job? Absolutely. However, I needed to be a little realistic about things including my background, level of experience, and whether or not I thought I could do the job that Barry Diller wanted. This was compounded when I learned that someone who headed up a similar position for Conde Nast had submitted their resume.

In the end, I decided to say no to the opportunity. I think it was the right decision for me until I can get some more experience and have a lot more to offer under my belt. Something like this may never come along again. However, it would be a huge step from where I am now to working for Barry Diller (if I was to even get the job). Give me a few more years and we'll see...

So Barry, if you do want me for this job, give me a call or drop me an email. Then again, you probably have no clue who I am...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never been an executive assistant but I have been a personal assistant. There's no amount of money in the world, I think, that could make me do it again.
Ok, I lie. If Tom "Crazy Tits" Cruise were to offer me 10% of his movie salaries, I'd probably take it.