Monday, March 08, 2004

So let's talk about the dating life shall we...it's been a while since we've done that and I have promised you that update on my date with Daddy Guy for quite a while but we'll get to all that in a second...

First and foremost, let's be a little honest, here...I've been doing the online dating thing. I figured why the heck not...it's not going to kill me and will put me out there to more men than I would probably ever meet in the normal course of dating. It's also a little safer course of action for me to "approach" someone online than in person because we all know of that "fear of rejection" thing I have going for me and something tells me that I can handle online rejection much better than I could "in person" rejection. So let's meet the some of the guys (in addition to Daddy guy)...

Doctor Guy -- Lives way out in Amagansett. He's 36 and, obviously, a doctor. We've been doing a lot of talking and trying to work out a time to meet up but with him being practically at the other end of Long Island travel time is what sucks the most.

EyeGlasses Guy -- Had coffee with him on Friday. He's a nice guy but I can tell you already that it's not going to work out between us. He's very quiet and seemingly the exact opposite of me.

InteriorDesign Guy -- He's also out on Long Island and...well...he's again, someone who is pretty much the exact opposite of me. Nice guy...we're in the midst of phone tag so we'll see where it goes.

Finance Guy -- He's out in New Jersey but something tells me it's not gonna work with me and him. I think he's looking more for friends than anything else.

SkiGuy -- Here's an update on him, in case you care...when he and I were on our dates, we would occasionally talk about the Martha Stewart case since he was avidly following it. Well, after hearing about her conviction, I shot him a quick friendly email to get his reaction to it and, being a nice guy, asking about his ski trip. I got a email back from him with an update on both things and I thought that was it... Well I logged onto to the site that he and I met through and was just messing around when I clicked on the "see who has viewed you" section...sure enough, the night he sent the email, he went and looked at my online profile again. It just makes me scratch my head...

Daddy Guy -- Okay let's get into him shall we....

As I've said before, he's 43 years old and has two kids (ages 11 and 5) that live with him....and his soon to be ex-wife. Yep, the wife is living under the same roof as him because Daddy Guy wanted to make sure that his son (whose birthday is tomorrow) had both parents with him for his formative years (to which is wife asked what that meant). Now that the youngest is a bit older, they are going to look into selling the house and getting their own separate spaces. On the really cool side, her parents have already said that they would side with him in any custody battle since they think he's the better parent.

So we had dinner when he was in town for a trade show. That meant we had about two hours to eat and talk since 1) the lot where he parked his car closed at eight and 2) he had to pick his daughter up from karate. We found this small, pretty much empty Mexican restaurant near where he parked and we managed to get a table as far away from everyone as possible where we sat and talked about our respective lives and backgrounds.

First and foremost...the man is pretty hot. There are those of you that have seen the picture and would agree with me that the man is pretty sexy...especially that smile. But when I sat down and we actually talked and he went through the coming out, his marriage, his family, etc., it was just nice to actually have a smooth flowing conversation that didn't have any pauses, didn't have any uncomfortable moments, and didn't make me wonder what the heck I was doing there and we both learned that we have very similar experiences and interests which makes it even more interesting (for me at least) to see where it goes.

We ended the date with me walking him to his car and him giving me a lift home since it was on his way. We sat in his car for a while listening to the cast recording of Wicked outside my building before he finally had to shove off or risk being late picking up his daughter so we ended it with a nice, kinda long-ish hug and a peck on the cheek.

Since then, we've been emailing back and forth and calling each other...he actually called me this morning on his way into work to see how things were going and I've invited him to the rugby team's bar night this Wednesday which he said he may try to make. So...if you want to see the guy (but just don't tell him the blog exists because he doesn't know about it)...stop by on Wednesday....

So that's the current story...still looking for love...still putting myself out there and taking a few risks...

And it feels good...

No comments: