Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I'm a Survivor...I'm Going to Make It....

I'm a survivor
I'm not gon give up
I'm not gon stop
I'm gon work harder
I'm a survivor
I'm gonna make it
I will survive
Keep on survivin'



That's kinda sums up how I feel after yesterday's train wreck of an afternoon. I really can't sleep (which is evidenced by my 3 AM posting...some of you know where I work so you may know some of the players involved...if you don't...well I'm not saying....

About 12, maybe 13 hours ago, I got a call from my co-worker Justin telling me ot head into Steve's (our boss) office. This wasn't unusual because we've had snap department meetings before so I just grabbed my notebook and headed over to the other side of the office. As usual, I was the first one there because when I get asked to show up, I show up.

Steve looked at me and asked where everyone else was so I was sent to go get Ricky and Jerry, my other two coworkers, as well. I noticed as I went into Ricky's area that Justin was in with the CEO in a closed door meeting. After delivering my "Join us!" message to the others, I headed back into Steve's office where I told him that Justin was unavailable and where he was at that time.

"I've been fired," was the first thing out of Steve's mouth. Now "fired" is really the wrong word. "Laid off" is more accurate from a legal stand point. Now we knew things were in a weird spot at the office but this was wholly unexpected. Stunned would be an understatement. It was like blowing up a balloon, tying the knot, slapping a piece of Scotch tape on it and then popping a hole in the Scotch tape so the air would leak out slowly.

I went back to my desk a few minutes later while Steve made his rounds to say goodbye and I really couldn't focus on work because this great guy was gone. I left a note for Justin on his desk to stop by and see me when he could and went back to work the best that I could given the circumstances. He stopped by a few minutes later and we went to work on an exhibitor list of who we should and should not contact from another group's show list and I got a bit of a heads up as to what was going down. Ricky had already been called into the CEO's office and was getting the word handed down to him so obviously they were going in order of seniority which meant I was last.

Ricky was probably in there for 5-10 minutes if that really. Jerry got called in next as Justin and I wrapped up our review. He went off to the office while Justin lingered a bit and asked that I just shoot him an IM right before I go in. Seconds after Justin left, Jerry came back and let me know that he had gotten the heave-ho as well. Needless to say when the phone rang about three seconds later, I wasn't feeling too hot.

I went in and was preparing for the worst. Instead I was given two choices (technically there). Everything is being consolidated into one sales force and I was being offered the opportunity to sell for our erotic shows and advertisements in the publications. My base pay would be cut, however, I would have an increased commission rate. The other choice was to become the production manager for the shows which would include interfacing with the decorators, working with the marketing, printing badges, floor plans, etc. This would be a flat salary with no sales work. It would be a higher salary than what I am making now, although if I met my annual sales goal for the erotic shows I would be making more in that position.

Well the production part appealed more to me not because it's a non-sales position, but because it does get me back into my roots of when I worked in the theatre and for the gay chorus in Florida and was their production manager. I asked for a day to think about it but I kinda knew about three hours later that I was taking the production job. I called up some friends and let them weigh in and they all unanimously told me to take the production job. So, I did.

I'm not sure when it all officially switches over but the only part that I'm leery about is the fact that I have to move into my former boss' office so I can be closer to the person that I directly report to. I don't want to give off the impression that I'm replacing Steve (and for the love of Cheese Whiz don't call it a promotion) or trying to be him and I know that I have to garner the support of those that are still here.

Quite simply the office is a much quieter place today. Still a little shock but I'll pull through. I'm a survivor. I have to.

No comments: