Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Reading Comprehension

I got into an tiff with a woman at my subway station today.

When you swipe your MetroCard and it says "Insufficient Fare" it means you don't have enough money on your card to get through the turnstile. Sounds simple enough, right?

Apparently not since she continued to swipe her card over and over and over and didn't understand why it wasn't working. Meanwhile, the line is starting to snake up the stairs because there are only 2 gates at this end of the L train stop - one of which isn't working.

Swipe. Double beep.

Swipe. Double beep.

Swipe. Double beep.

Finally, I spoke up. I'm three people back and I can clearly see that the screen says "Insufficient Fare."

"You know, you can swipe it all you want, but money isn't magically going to appear on the card to let you through."

She whipped around and said, "You don't have to use that tone with me."

"And you don't have to keep trying to swipe your card when it says you don't have enough money on it."

The people behind me started to laugh and that apparently was enough to get her to stop swiping her card like a maniac and finally go put some money on the card. The guy behind me came up to me and said, "I'm glad one of us had the balls to say something."

Sorry I just don't deal well with stupidity first thing in the morning.

No comments: