Monday, August 07, 2006

Love...Not Actually

I cocooned myself this weekend with comfort foods, a remote control with fresh batteries, the maximum number of Netflix movies I'm allowed, some of my favorite reads, enough Sudoku for the city of Kyoto, and a wish just to make it through the weekend.

Well, I almost made it.

After exhausting all of the Netflix on the first day, I was forced to resort to my small, personal library. The original British Coupling got me going and for some reason, I felt brave enough to watch one of my favorite movies -- Love, Actually.

I always thought of myself as Colin Firth who was ready and willing to do whatever it took and go wherever needed in order to win the woman he loved. I'm the guy that would do that.

In watching, though, I realized I was more Laura Linney who wanted to be Colin Firth. I know what I want. I know who I want. I'm just too scared sometimes to go after it. Hell, we've seen it more than a few times on here where I pine away for someone and never act on my feelings. It's always me hoping that he will take the first step and come after me.

And he never does.

That's going to change. As Karl says in the movie, "Life is full of interruptions and complications." I just have to find my way through them.

No comments: