Monday, August 04, 2014

30 Day Challenge Day 3... and some more stuff....

Okay nothing new to report on Day 3 of the challenge.  I successfully avoided soda and stuck to my water and sugar free drink mixes.  However, I did have a bit of a revelation.

This 30 day challenge has somewhat morphed into me coming out of the depression funk I have fallen into since my father's death.  Sure there's all the health benefits from the no soda drinking but there's the additional benefits I am going to get by being around friends, not hermiting myself in my apartment or at work, and getting myself the grief counseling help I need.

I had a great conversation with a friend on Facebook during my lunch hour where I asked her to keep me in her thoughts and prayers.  I had reached out to her prior in asking about group grief therapy counseling and she made several suggestions.  When I told her I hadn't started anything probably because I was being too picky she suggested that my "pickiness" came from not being ready to start.  And that's when I knew I was ready... I just had to suck it up and do it.  With that, I logged into our PPO benefits site, found a psychologist near my office, and signed up for my first appointment.  It will have been almost three months by the time of the appointment and the only way I am going to move forward is to revisit the past and "deal with it."  To say that I am encouraged by my actions and also scared shitless at the same time is a bit of an understatement.

What I need to remind myself of (and regularly) is that I have a great support system already built up and I need to remember that I can use them to lean on and talk to when I need a shoulder.  I don't have to do this alone.  I know that sounds really simplistic and really easy to say... (yes, I hear you all saying, "DUH!") but it's hard for me to ask for help sometimes.  Okay, a lot of times.

This is a journey.  It's a marathon... maybe even an Ironman Triathlon.  It is not a sprint.

I will get through this and hope you will join me for the trip.

No comments: