Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Yog-ugh!

So, today I did my first ever yoga class with a fellow blogger who happens to go to the same gym as I do.

As he said, and I echo, I feel very stretched out right now.

Actually, he got the class a lot better than I did. He has more upper body strength than I do so for him getting into the downward facing dog position was much easier than for me who ultimately had to do that position on my knees because it was difficult for me. I also started sweating profusely throughout the class which made some of the positions a little more difficult to hold.

However, I will say that I have never put my body into some of the positions that I did this morning and the soreness that I felt was definitely some unused muscles getting pulled and stretched and wondering why they were being used in the first place. However, now that I'm about an hour or so removed from the class, I do feel a little better and I think my circulation is a bit improved. I just need to keep at it I guess.

The rugby team's medic told me a long time ago that I should probably take up yoga in order to improve my flexibility and lessen my lower back pain that I was feelign at the time. My hamstrings were (and still are) horribly tight which only puts more strain on my glutes and lower back. So if this helps then bravo.

If not, then I'm going to at least be able to breathe through my nose properly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have NO upper body strength & in the last few years, my shoulders are really tight, so downward dog is always a challenge. Especially when my hands start to sweat.

Keep at it! It'll make you feel so much better....