Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Reality TV and Me

I've been keeping a secret from many of you. I auditioned for a reality show earlier this year and made it as far as being presented to the network executives for possible casting in the show.

But I didn't make it. I never got the call.

For a while I was sad about it all because having never auditioned by myself for a show (I did do an Amazing Race application with my friend Wendi that went nowhere) and to make it THAT far...well I took it as a good sign that I might, just might get cast. But, alas, no phone call.

Today I stumbled across a news article about the Big 3 networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) and how they were complaining that Fox was ripping off their reality TV ideas and doing their own. NBC then announced some of Fox's ideas for new programming and included in the article was the show I auditioned for...

Now, I knew that this was Fox I was auditioning for so the premise was going to have layer upon layer upon layer of shite with crappy twists and turns everywhere. I knew that it was a rip-off of The Apprentice but I never expected it to be this:

"Big Shot being filmed in Los Angeles, appears to be a cross between Spike TV's The Joe Schmo Show and NBC's The Apprentice. On the show, several contestants try to win a high-paying job with a corporate tycoon, as in The Apprentice ... only to learn at the end that the tycoon and the job are both fake, as in Joe Schmo.

The Boston Herald named one of the contestants on
Big Shot: Mike Gregorio, whom the Herald described as the "sales sultan" of United Liquors in Boston. We hope his sultanate isn't affected by the fact that Fox is apparently trying to make him and the other contestants on Big Shot into nationwide buffoons."

All I gotta say is....WHEW! My suspicions on Fox were dead on and I'm kinda glad that they never called me back. I mean I know I do buffoonish things on my own (standing in a tree in just my underwear holding a Diet Vanilla Pepsi comes to mind) but thank God it's not on national TV.

No comments: