Tuesday, July 20, 2004

My eyes! My eyes!

My left contact lens has been bothering me for the past two days and I really had no idea why. It would itch. It would burn. It would sting. Normally I would go for the majority of the day before I had to yank both of them out of my eyes and put my glasses back on.

Today, again the left contact was giving my major problems and the right one was a piece of cake. I went to the bathroom and pulled the left one out to rinse it off and see if there was anything trapped under the lens (for all of two days) that my multitude of washings and rinsings had yet to eradicate.

And that's when I noticed it.

The contact lense was ripped in the middle. And we're not talking about a small rip. It was a pretty good size tear large enough to really make me wonder what damage, if any, I've done to my eye. About eight years ago when I wore hard lenses for my severe astigmatism I had the lens get caught up in my eyelid and every time I would blink it would scratch my eye. I ultimately had to go to the emergency room to get it removed and had to wear my super dorky glasses for three weeks before my replacement lenses could come in. After all, I wasn't going to wear those glasses for longer than I needed to...

So I stood there in the bathroom staring at this tiny imperceptable tear that had been causing me so much discomfort for the past two days just amazed that something so small could have such a big effect...

Then I ripped the damn thing in half and threw it away...

No comments: