Monday, June 07, 2004

Something not Tony related...

I got home last night from the Tony gala ball around 1am and as I was putting my key in the lock I heard this screaming coming from upstairs. The woman was clearly screaming to a male that she wanted him out of the apartment to leave now before she called the police. There was clearly some shoving or something going on because I could hear things hitting the walls.

Well that got my attention. I might have been tired but that had me awake. I stood there not really knowing what to do so I listened for a bit more and it died down a bit, would swell up again, go back down. Ultimately after it died down for a good period I went into my apartment. Then it started all over again and went on for about twenty minutes. Finally, I just called the cops myself. I tracked down which apartment it was in to make sure I was reporting the right one and then went back to reading email. The noise, I did note, had disappeared about two minutes after I called.

Five minutes after I called (if that long), my phone rang again and the police were asking me to come down and take them to the apartment in question. They asked me a few things like if I heard anything like this before, what exactly I heard, etc. My answer to that was that I am normally asleep at 1am and was just getting home from a party when I heard it all. I took them up in the elevator to the apartment and pointed them in the right direction. There were four cops in this small vestibule so I went down the main hall while they knocked on the door. The only female cop said I could go back to my apartment and I told her which one I was in should they need me.

As I was heading downstairs, this is what I heard...

Apartment Woman: Yes?

Male Officer: Police.

Apartment Woman: Yes?

Male Officer: We had a report of a disturbance.

Apartment Woman: It was just me and my boyfriend. We were just arguing really loud. We do that often.

Male Officer: Well we've had a few complaints about it so we're just checking it out. Can we come in and make sure no one is dead?

At this point, I went into my apartment because I figured I had done the right thing considering all of the yelling and shrieking and screaming. Then I got pissed that these people apparently argue "really loud" like that on a regular basis and don't have any consideration for their neighbors who can hear it all. And, to top it all off, they were upset that someone called the police out of concern for their well being.

I swear...you can't do anything nice anymore.

Then again, maybe I just wanted to sleep in peace.



No comments: