Friday, June 25, 2004

Brooklyn, ho!

So...I'm moving at the end of the month to Brooklyn. Not to Jersey City as was the original plan but Brooklyn (Greenpoint to be specific). I will not go into the details of why this change was made as, frankly, it's too much of a headache for me to put into words but let's just say there was a major shift in opinion and thought that threw everything into peril and well...now I'm in Brooklyn.

First thing to note...my neighborhood is primarily Polish. With lots and lots of cute Polish guys walking around. Who knew the Poles were that hot? And let's not even get into talking about their sausage okay...the room in the apartment is a nice size and I will have to be a little creative in my furniture placement but that shouldn't be a problem. The couple I'm sharing with are pretty cool and apparently the entire building is full of people in their 20s and 30s. They throw occasional garden and roof parties (Fourth of July anyone?) and are pretty laid back. We hit it off pretty well...The rent is PERFECT and should I play my cards right I can start socking enough away get me to Europe in the coming years...

When I think about my personal migration since I moved here, it's kinda scary to think that I've gone from Fort Lee, NJ, to Astoria, Queens, to Washington Heights, to Hells Kitchen, and now out to Brooklyn. That's hitting three of the five boroughs and an entire other state. I guess this is the way of the city...people moving about trying to find their place not only in the city but the world at large as well.

It's sort of how I've been leading my life for the past few years. A year or so in New Jersey only ot spend about 2 in Queens and so forth...it's not that I've been unhappy where I'm at in life personally of physically but it's just that opportunities have come my way (or been thrown in my way like last year's fire) that have forced me to alter my way of thinking. These personal challenges really test my personal fortitude and how much I can depend on myself, my skills, and my resources to pull through in a crunch.

48 hours ago, I learned I might not have a place to move after all. 24 hour later, I had a new place to go. It's like that old line from The Sound of Music, whenever God closes a door sometimes he opens a window. Granted, I'm not the most religious person in the world but sometimes you have to put your faith in trust in whatever higher authority you believe in and pray that it turns out for the best. Sometimes I believe that higher authority just knows that we're making the wrong decisions and wants to put us back on the right track.

Maybe that's what happened here. Maybe not. Either way....BROOKLYN, HO!

No comments: