Monday, May 03, 2004

So tired.

So little sleep this weekend.

Anyway...the boys went to Philly this weekend and took on the Philadelphia Gryphons and won both of their matches. The first match start off a little hairy but the guys quickly got their footing and took it to the Gryphons hard and furious winning 27-7. They controlled the ball very well all match long and every little thing that they worked on at practice really and truly showed on the pitch. They worked hard and you could just see it all click in their minds what they had worked so hard on at practice and put into use at the match. Sure there were a few sloppy moment here and there but overall, wow...what a difference.

As for the B-match, they played their hearts out and won 10-0 with the ball in the Philly red zone for a nice chunk of the first match. They fought back and fought hard to keep Philly out of the try zone. It might not have been the previous of matches but the guys really got the job done when it mattered. One player (whom we call "Black Doug" as he is one of FOUR Doug's on the team) got his first try and performed the requisite zulu of running naked across the pitch as we all sang, "It's a Small World."

Sadly, due to commitments here in NYC I couldn't stay for the post-match drink up and rode back with one of the other players. We talked and really got to know each other during the ride back which was nice considering that he and I had never really spent major time together outside of practice or games. But what really got to me was that he was impressed with my transformation since I joined the team. Remember, when I joined, I wore glasses and was rather...well I'm still kinda heavy but I was a tank then. He thought I wouldn't last very long and has been pleasantly surprised that I've stuck with it and progressed for as long as I have...of course he also wants me to heal some more so I can play but that we shall see...lots of physical therapy ahead of me.

Fun times....

Now, if you really want to have fun, you'll join the team for a night at The Donkey Show too.....

No comments: