Monday, July 04, 2005

Crash...Bang...Boom...

I just saw the movie Crash and I haven't been THIS moved by a movie or more compelled to tell people to go see it since I saw Thelma and Louise when it first came out back in 1991.

Emotional roller coaster isn't even the beginning words I would use to describe this one...utterly fucking amazing, however, ARE the beginning words. The casting was entirely perfect for this film and while some parts of the plot made a few future events predictable when you got to the predictable parts there was always something to give it that extra added punch that said “you might have thought this was coming but you were wrong...”

Most importantly though it dealt VERY frankly with race relations in this country and how we treat each other whether directly or indirectly. It was more than a little sobering to see it played out on a big screen and as much as I would like to believe that 90+ percent of our country isn't like some of the portrayals I saw tonight, I pretty much know that I would be wrong.

I hope Paul Higgis (and if the directors name is wrong I'll correct it later as I'm writing this on the subway ride home) puts out a four hour director's cut of this film so we can see everything that he had to leave on the cutting room floor...

P.S. Despite the fact that this can't really be called a “date” movie, I did in fact have a first date to see this film...I'll tell more tomorrow...

Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.

No comments: