Sunday, November 14, 2004

Color me surprised...

I promise when I'm thinking more clearly and not as tired I'll write about this weekend's rugby tournament but something happened at the post-match drink up that really made me rethink how I look at people...or at least one person...

One of the guys on the team...well...let's just say that he was never high on my list of "get to know" people and it might have been from his demeanor and/or actions, but I never really made the effort to talk to him or get to know him. Even he said that he can be or appear standoffish (and that's his word not mine). Last night, I was working the door at the drink-up when he came up to me and said, "I know you don't hear this nearly enough as you should but all of the work you do for the team is really what keeps us running and I know you don't get enough thanks for the work you do but I just want you know that we all appreciate it."

From there we started talking about perceptions and our varying "work" for the team before we started goofing around with each other and pretty much having a lot of fun with each other (and not in that way although we did have one hysterical sex joke between the two of us). As I sat in the cab on the way home I was still going over our conversation in my head and how really and truly honored I felt to get a great compliment from him and that when he does let that standoffish guard down, he's really not as bad of a guy as I once considered him...

No comments: