Sunday, February 10, 2008

What Could Have Been...

Last week I was on the train platform heading down to a post-work kiss and schmooze event when I saw this woman.

Okay, let me be perfectly honest...she was a rather large gal. Maybe 5'5" but probably 220 pounds and a little unkempt. Now, I have nothing much that I can say myself since I know that I'm not exactly a small person myself but I think that I would have to be about 340 pounds to be equal to her size. I tried not to stare at her but I was really looking at what could have been me (although taller and heavier) if I had not really started exercising and takin care of myself by exercising and watching what I eat.

I think she caught me staring at her a few times as I really pondered the "what could have been" aspect of things. She didn't look exceptionally happy and given her size, I can imagine why not.

I'm grateful that I've taken a much stronger look at my health and my desire to get into better shape. I've accepted the fact that it is a process and the weight doesn't magically come off. It is work. It required dedication. I've slipped a few times here and there but I've stayed on track for well over a year now.

I've thought a lot about that woman in the past few days. I've thought a lot about what I would do if I was in her situation. If anything, it's reinforced my goal and desire to hit my targets even more.

No comments: