Monday, January 14, 2008

A New Year and New Karma

Okay...so I've been horrible about posting so I'll make this somewhat quick. I'm going to begin posting stories and pics from my trip to Costa Rica over New Year's so you can get the full reason behind why we started calling it "Tropical Storm Fiesta!"

However, the fun part came when I returned to work that Monday. Now, prior to leaving, I took over sales for one of our brands and did some preliminary work from NYC and then followed up a bit from my parents house in Florida. Two of my new clients sent back their forms via fax and one kid in the office snatched them from the fax machine and entered their order into the system moving it from my name to his...

And I caught him...

Both clients emailed me to say that they had faxed them over and when I didn't see them on the machine, something told me to check the system and sure enough they were both entered under someone else's name. Well I got the forms from the kid and pretty much told him what he did was uncool and unethical (not to mention, in effect, stealing from his colleagues) and he will never do it again. I told his boss what had gone down and he wasn't thrilled with it either but was thankful that I handled it in a professional manner...

And now for the karma...

That afternoon I was called into the CEO's office and asked if I could take over the head of sales for my division (in addition to the production and marketing that I was already doing). Well, sure enough I said yes and that afternoon the kid who tried to steal my sales became my employee.

Now I know what you're thinking. I'm going to make his life hell and miserable for what he did. Absolutely not. He's a good salesperson and can get the job done. However, I am keeping a close eye on him to make sure that he doesn't do this again and to make sure that he keeps focused on what his job is... and not what it isn't.

So... a new year... new karma... new responsibilities...

Something just told me that 2008 was going to be a crazy year... it's proving itself to be so already.

3 comments:

Joni said...

I was thinking about you this morning, checked in and lo and behold a post :)

And it's the year of the Rat :) Earth Rat but still

Jess said...

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. I hope this is just the first of many great things for the year!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Well done!