Tuesday, August 17, 2004

You're dumber than you think I think you are.

Today my new coworker (the one I previously referenced as Amanda) told me she had a dentist appointment today. Really and truly, not a problem as I can handle the department on my own while she was at the appointment.

Then she told me the appointment was on 42nd Street and 3rd Avenue.

*cue lightbulb going off above my head*

Unless she really does have a dentist on that corner then it's just a little too much of a coincidence. You see, we have an office on that corner as well and apparently she was under the impression that I wasn't aware of their location. It's a special division of the bank that has to be at a separate address, yadda yadda yadda, insert arcane banking law here. And she's already made overtures (behind out backs) about returning to the department from whence she came (and they don't even want her back) and we kinda know she's not happy working in this department because 1) she's rather fake about everything she does and 2) you can just tell she's not happy...so either she was at a dentist appointment or she was at a job interview.

I voted job interview.

When she came back, I noticed there was no noticeable numbing from the anesthetic and she was talking normally unlike most people who take somewhat lispy after they've been numbed at the dentist. There she was just chatting away normally as if nothing was going on at all. Mind you, she told me before she left she was going in to have cavities filled (or something like that).

"So...that anesthesia must have worn off quickly." I casually mentioned about thirty minutes after she arrived.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"I know for me it takes a good while to get full feeling back in my mouth and to be able to speak properly after I've been to the dentist."

She looked at me as if she had been poleaxed. That's all I needed to know.

She was interviewing.

Just call me Jessica Fletcher.

No comments: