Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Drop trou, bend over, take it like a man

My boss just called me regarding my response to his email. For the record, my response went something like this...

Well I was going to take some time off around my birthday at the end of that first week but oh, what the hell, I really don't need to take time off when I can always help cover for yet another person that will be out of the office....

To give you an idea of what I meant by this, let's look at the summer vacation schedule for my department. For the sake of keeping everyone's identities a secret, we'll call my boss John, then there's psycho-somatic hypochondriac Gloria, and then there's the guy on the 37trh floor that I'm covering for this week named Jeff. Now, just remember, each week that they are our means that I have to cover their work...sounds like fun, right??? Additionally, there's a new employee well call Amanda that I have been training and really can't do the work on his own.

June 1-4 (was supposed to be taken off by me but I had to cancel out because my boss was out on family leave for two weeks as his wife had given birth which meant he was out through the 11th as well).

June 14 - 18 Jeff on jury duty.

June 28 - July 2 -- John taking more time off to be with the baby. (Amendment. I did take off ONE day on July 1 to move into my new apartment. I was back in the office the next day.)

July 5 - 16 -- Jeff out on his two week vacation

July 19 - 23 -- Training Amanda on the one week that I'm not running around doing someone else's job.

July 26 - August 6 -- Gloria is out.

August 9 - 13 -- Jeff is out again...this time on a cruise

August 16 - 20 -- John is out on his one week of vacation

August 23 - September 3 -- John is working in the New Jersey office in preparation for and during the Republican National Convention

September 6 - 10 -- I'm sure someone will find time to take off during this period. I'm sure Amanda will want to take some time off and, for all I know, here's her chance to get some in before I can think abotu doing anything.

September 13 - 24 -- John takes his two week vacation and I'm thoroughly entrenched in rugby until the middle of November which means that I don't get to take a single fucking day off to go anywhere because I want to be able to play this fall.

I have THIRTEEN DAYS of vacation still to take. THIRTEEN.

Let me say that one more time just to make sure that you are aware of what's going on...

THIRTEEN.

Mind you, Amanda has transferred in from another department and has her own fuckload of vacation days that she has yet to take as well which means that...well...I'm sure there will be times when I'm covering for her and someone else unless it gets planned well.

So back to the phone call with my boss....

"If you want to take the time off I'm sure we can work something out, Brian."

"That's okay, John. Just take the time off. I really don't care anymore. I'm used to getting fucked over by this place by now so it's really not a big deal."

"Well apparently it is to you."

"John. Just take the time off."

"No, what days were you looking to take off..."

"JUST TAKE THE TIME OFF. I DON'T CARE."

(Of course that's a lie. I do care but considering that I'm used to getting fucked over by this place and have told myself that I'm here to do a job and I'm leaving at 5:00 each day part of me really doesn't care.)

"Well I just don't want you to get screwed out of taking time off."

"John, it's a little late for that don't you think?"

Pause.

"Well, you gotta point there."

No comments: