Thursday, October 02, 2003

Now, I don't want everyone to get their knickers in a twist when I say what I am about to say because there is nothing wrong with me (except for those of you that still wonder about my sanity or lack thereof). However do take note of this for future reference should the need (knock on wood that it doesn't) ever arise...

If for any reason I have a hugely incurable disease, cancer, etc., I want to go out like Don McKellar's Matt did in The Event. I would want to go out with my friends surrounding me, revelling in my life, and not mourning my passing. I want a party. I want a huge bash. I want to dance with all of my friends at least once and let them know how much they meant to me. I want to laugh and sing and cry and not be afraid of letting a disease control my final days. I want to determine my "departure date."

My only question is whether or not my family would attend. I would like to believe so...but with my family you can never tell.

As you can tell, I saw The Event last night and went to the subsequent party afterwards at View Bar. I cannot recommend this movie enough (even though I think Parker Posey got a little too Johnny One-Note with her performance) even if you just watch Olympia Dukakis totally shine in this performance. She is so balanced and so poised that she really brought the level of the film up a huge notch. Having been a performer, I have had that experience of working with a highly skilled actor whose performance, in an essence, elevates your own because you have to perform on the same level as them or risk having an off-balance production.

This is a story of things I am sure go on continuously not only in NYC but around the world and is handle with such a deft touch that you know the story is personal to the authors. This is not It's My Party. It comes nowhere close to that story. This is an uplifting celebration of life in the face of adversity. This is the story of courage and bravery. It's a story of friendship. It's a story of family. It's a story of love.

Please go see this movie. It's getting a very limited release right now and it's not a story just for the gay community or directed towards the straight community. It's a story for all of us -- gay, straight, male, female, positive, negative, in drag, out of drag....Go see it. You will find your own story somewhere within the movie and you will be moved.

No comments: