Thursday, October 03, 2002



I saw the picture posted above at Paul's blog and it made me shudder to think that we are going to go to war with Iraq again when there is so much other stuff that needs to be addressed internally first -- like our economy. The DJIA has plummeted, people are not finding employment that they would like, the key economic indicators are fluctuating so wildly that just when we think we're starting to come out of the funk that it dips back down again and we are left in a state of ugh.

Now, by no stretch of the imagination am I saying that a war with Iraq would be a bad thing, however, I just question the timing of it all. I fear that this is too much of a Wag the Dog situation. Our economy is not rebounding like everyone said it would and our government is, effectively, not trying hard enough (in my own humble opinion) to do anything about it.

It took me 2 years to find permanent employment. TWO YEARS. I know people who have been out of work for MONTHS (some nearly a year or more) because the job market is piss poor and companies cannot afford to hire people with the readiness and expediency of the past when our economy was booming and people could move to jobs with relative ease. Now companies are looking for people who are more than willing to stay around for a while than a fly-by-night person who has jumped from gig to gig. If our government put more emphasis (or even the same amount) on helping our economy stop hemorrhaging than they would on fighting Saddam Hussein we might see a difference in our lives. I am not defending Saddam Hussein at all, but for me, my friends, my family, etc, the economy and our finances and our jobs are paramount to going to war with Iraq.

It's just me but I would rather we fix ourselves before we try to fix other countries.

No comments: