Friday, June 30, 2006

So let's catch up...

I've just completed my first week at the new job. It was actually a pretty interesting week and on top of it, I made my first sale (woo hoo) and booked a trade deal that's going to make a lot of people happy. They were kinda shocked that I made my first sale so soon (three days) but I didn't think much of it since the person who I contracted it through was someone that I already knew and already had a working relationship with. Had it been with a total stranger then I think it would have been much more difficult.

On the plus side of the job (besides being able to wear kilts to work which I have done twice already), it's a predominately gay environment and is much more relaxed. We work hard, that's for sure, but it's nice to be able to be yourself and not hold back. I mean, when I was working for the French, I never really cared if someone knew that I was gay. What I did in my off-hours was totally mine and was no one's business. However, I did feel that the office was very clique-ish and I never really was fully accepted into the group. Sure they would make comments about me not wanting to join them for drinks or anything but when you're made to feel unwelcome to begin with you really don't want anything to do with them when they do extend the invitation. Here, they've already welcomed me, accepted me, and made me a part of the group. Before when it was my boss and brown noser of a coworker (at the time) going out to lunch over and ignoring me and making me feel like an outcast, now it's the team inviting me to join them (which I have done). It's a much better environment (even if my pay is lower) but it's still a great experience so far. Well...there is the guy who I think was kinda flirting with me today because he started off by joking about my kilt and did a faux Riverdance/prance action. He got a little concerned that I was insulted by it (which I wasn't) but I did let him know what will insult me (namely people trying to lift up the kilt to see what's underneath). He came by a little bit later and asked to feel the material of the kilt (it was one of my Utilikilts and I actually get that request very often) so I said okay and he felt the material (cotton) and then felt my leg a bit. I smiled and called him a flirt as he walked away. He's pretty cute so I'm not going to complain. I'm not big on dipping my pen in the company ink so we'll see where this goes...if anywhere.

No comments: